About Me

My photo
I am an amateur writer, just getting my feet wet. Blogging for me will be a launching point to get some solid writing done leading up to the eventual completion of the book that hides inside of me.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Auld Lang Syne

This is a re-post of a blog I posted on Myspace a few years ago, updated and edited to make it current...



The popular song written by Scottish poet Robert Burns is sung every New Year’s Eve at midnight.  Ringing in the New Year and remembering the one just passed.  The internet is filled with definitions and translations to what Burns meant by his words. 


According to one article written by Stephen Lynch: "The song recalls the days gone by and says we will always remember them. ``Should auld acquaintance be forgot?'' it asks. No, the chorus replies: ``For auld lang syne (for times gone by), we'll tak (drink) a cup o' kindness yet.''


I had the distinct pleasure of being in Glasgow, Scotland several years ago and celebrated Burns Night with some very special friends. The evening was complete with bagpipes, kilts and haggis (yes I ate it, yes I liked it). I will recall that time for the rest of my life.




So, what does this song mean to you?  Have you ever given it any thought?  To me it means that we will not only NOT forget the old times but will remember them fondly (preferably with drink in hand).  So it seems appropriate to sing this song at the transition period from one year to the next.


Of course we can thank Guy Lombardo for that tradition.  Starting in 1929 Mr. Lombardo and his orchestra played the dreamy tune at the turn of midnight.  Giving people pause and bringing tears to the eyes of partying revelers. 


This year as I hear the song it will remind me of the year that's past and help me look forward to the year to come.  That means looking at both good and bad and expecting the same in 2011.  But all the time remembering the love that I have been given and people that I have been blessed with knowing and loving in return.

In reading a more recent article on the translation of the song I ran across the final verse that touched me. I would like to share it here, both in the original words of Robert Burns and then translated.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!
And gie's a hand o' thine!
And we'll tak a right guid willy waught,
For auld lang syne.


And there's a hand, my trusty friend!
And give us a hand of yours!
And we'll take a deep draught of good-will
For long, long ago.


 
And in keeping with my Celtic background click start…sit back, relax and enjoy...Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share on Facebook